The Eeyou Eenou Police Force (EEPF) is a regional police service organized under the administration of the Cree Nation Government since April 1, 2011. The EEPF is dedicated to delivering police services in partnership with our communities to keep Eeyou Istchee residents safe.
Our mission is to maintain peace, order and public security, to prevent and repress crime and offences under the law and Cree communities by-laws throughout Eeyou Istchee. In pursuing our mission, the EEPF and its members ensure the safety of persons and property, safeguard rights and freedoms, as well as respect and remain attentive to the needs of victims. We partner strategically with key stakeholders to uphold the highest level of public security and social wellness for our people throughout the territory.
Proud of our origins, we are committed to providing professional policing services throughout Eeyou Istchee in partnership with the communities we serve. Our staff works from 10 different locations, including the Court Liaison office located in Amos. We also collaborate with the Cree Nation Government’s Human Resources and Apatisiiwin Skills Development departments to strengthen our recruitment efforts.
History of EEPF
- The Eeyou-Eenou Police Force (EEPF) is established by virtue of Section 19 of James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement (JBNQA)
- Originally, each Cree community had its own local police force
- 2008 –Complementary Agreement No. 19 amends Section 19 JBNQA
- Provides for creation of single, regionalCree police force –Eeyou-Eenou Police Force –under the administration of the Cree Nation Government
- Police Act was amended accordingly (Title II, Chapter 1, Division V.1, ss. 102.1 –102.10)
- 2010 –Adoption of Cree Nation Government By-Law concerning Policing
- 2011 –Amalgamation of local police forces into regional Eeyou-Eenou Police Force
- Funded by Canada (52%)and Québec (48%)
By recognizing the value of each EEPF employee, we create and maintain an environment of individual safety, well-being, and development.
The following values shape our work: